Saturday 20 June 2009

Pastitsio



Pastitsio. What a wonderful sight for hungry eyes, isn't it?

I cannot say I have completely mastered the art of making it yet, and this is the reason I did not take it to the market today.
What I did wrong: I cooked a big quantity in a casserole smaller than it should be, the oil started dripping on the bottom of the oven, the oil burnt and and the sauce has absorbed smoke from the burning oil. So I took it out prematurily: the bechamel sauce was not yet fully baked. I had to clean the oven and by that time the food's temperature had already fallen. I'll have to consume it at home and warm it up on the grill so that the sauce can reach the right colour.

Lessons to be learnt: 1. pastitsio needs a deep roaster/casserole to be cooked in, so that there is still space between the level of the food and the rim. 2. Maybe the mince mix needs a little bit less oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment